Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Inspiration, Jackson, and Me

I've been a little less than inspired lately, but just this week it seems as if Inspiration has been throwing itself at me like boulders from the gods. An awesome and random movie gives me insight to my own life, a visit with a friend is enjoyable and enlightening, snowflakes whip around me in all directions, and I finally feel the pull of the universe that is tugging me in the right directions. I realize that it is all in my mindset, how I see the day, and I'm just trying to have more days like that. It really is a stellar feeling and Jackson Daniel is benefiting in more ways than one.

Jackson smiles endlessly at my silly songs and dances, self-imposed rants, and recitations of old poems and stories that I had written so long ago. He thinks I'm quite the entertainer what he doesn't know is that he is the one that is entertaining me. We have learned (I guess it is he that has learned) how to stick out our tongues in mimic of one another and he babbles with me as I ramble on. I love to hear his voice develop as he tries on new sounds and shapes with his mouth. It is just so cool, and to think that we all started out that way.

Our boy is also growing Fast! He has grown out of most of his 0-3 month onsies and now wearing his 3 or 3-6 month ones. At his two month check up he weighed 12 pounds and 3 ounces, in the 60th percentile, and was 23 and 1/4 inches in length, in the 70th percentile. He is a big eater and his growth reflects that nicely.

Another new, and not so pleasant, change with our boy is his new "night cries." He seems to be having a hard time going to sleep lately and while a bottle is his preference to comfort him into sleep I refuse to feed him 30 minutes after he has already downed a 4 oz. bottle. Call me mean, but it just doesn't help with the gas that he combats daily. This usually ends with Jackson crying on and off for at least an hour while either Dave or I hold, rock, or walk with him until he finally shuts those sleepy eyes. Tough love is a new and hard concept for me as I'm sure it is with all mothers. It wears you down as much as it seems to wear the baby down, which generally leads to a deep sleep for all.

It has been such a pleasure to be home with him without the stress of study or school even though I know the madness is about to begin again so very soon. I have worked out a schedule where I will go to school for a few hours on Monday for a Lab in the evening and then Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 am - 3:15. I know I will be exhausted and yet it really seems that is a familiar aspect of Motherhood.

Lil' Jack Daniel would just like to say:


Yo! Peace.

1 comments:

Mama Kayla said...

LOL Nice ending.

But truly a good post. It just takes time, I think...to adjust. Motherhood is not QUITE as natural as I thought it would be. While the basic care of the baby seems plenty instinctual, the adjustment and extra time doesn't seem so natural at all. It's definitely a balancing act...as you said.