Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Almost Over

My scholastic break has, in my opinion, been a success.

Wedding dress --- CHECK
Caught up with Friends --- CHECK
Weened Jack from his bottle --- CHECK
Taken care of bills that the insurance was supposed to pay ---CHECK
Find Peace and Calm on the majority of my days --- (surprisingly) CHECK
(P.S. That is a vastly simplified version of the actual list and disregards all the things that were not accomplished such as "Applying to the Graduate Program" for my sanity and to appear more accomplished.)

And now with the break coming to a screeching halt, I look forward to the up coming semester. When I am home this much I struggle mentally. I need to feel involved and connected with the outside world. It is an Animal need, and when deprived tends to make me a little crazy.

So about this wedding dress:
I literally tried on over 50 dresses this past Tuesday and realized that weddings are gimmicks and are complete insanity. $1500 for a dress?!! I realize that some people will pay 20x that, but those people have money, I do not! My mother went with me and lunch went something like this:

Mom: Amber, I don't get it. This is your wedding dress, don't settle on one because it is cheap. That first one was just perfect!"
Me: The first one cost over 1000 dollars!
Mom: So what!? This is your only wedding!
Me: Yes, you are right it is, and I would rather take that extra money and buy more wine and food with it to ensure that EVERYONE has a great time.

So we made up, finished our drinks, went to the next shop on the list and the first dress I tried on was the one. It was reasonable priced, looked great (despite it needing to be taken in an inch or two), and I knew the moment it slid over my body that this was the dress I was supposed to get married in. God it feels good to have that part of the wedding taken care of, now if the rest could just do itself, that would be great.

Wednesday allowed for some catching up with my friend Kayla, her daughter Story, and Jacob. I was wonderful to see her, School has kept us both under lock and key lately and it appears as if the next semester will be similar. The best part was watching Jack and Story playing together. They are 9 months apart and so cute together. I wish I had taken pictures. At one point we hear Jackson start to cry and look over and they are in Story's princess tent and she has him in a headlock! I laughed so hard while trying to free him but really just wanted to watch him NOT fight back. And then on his way out of the tent Story grabs his waist and takes him down again! It was adorable, and Story has grown and changed so much it makes me sad that I get to see her so little.

Thursday... I don't remember. Must have taken care of bills and weened Jack from his bottle. HA. LOL.

That brings us to the now, which is where I should've been the whole time. Worry comes from past and the future, but the Now, holds nothing but peace or action to return to the peaceful state. today brought an itch to return to something. School, or summer, or bed perhaps, just an itch for a comfortable change. And then I remind myself that all of those things will come back around. It is my job to deal with and enjoy the Now.

That is exactly what I'm gonna do.

2 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Great post. This is very wise:
That brings us to the now, which is where I should've been the whole time. Worry comes from past and the future, but the Now, holds nothing but peace or action to return to the peaceful state.

~Amber Elise~ said...

SB - If only I had a mental marquee sign that displayed that wisdom in my mind at all times... - Thank you.